Venezuelan Style Arepas
- 2 boxes of Mambo Cheese Arepas (4 count each)
For the shredded beef (Carne Mechada)
- Coarse sea salt
- Olive oil
- 2 lbs beef skirt or flank steak
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup of Mambo Sofrito (onions and peppers)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 6 oz can organic tomato paste diluted in 1 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Using a bowl, place the beef, add a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well using your hands. Let it marinade for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the beef and sear it until golden brown on both sides. Remove from pot and place it on a platter.
- Add sofrito to Dutch oven and cook for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, stir and cook for a couple of minutes. Return beef to pot, placing on top of vegetables; add the tomatoes and cover with tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid.
- Place covered pot in the oven and reduce heat to 225°F. Let it cook for up to 6 hours. Remove it from oven and let it stand for 10 minutes. Using a fork, break the beef apart completely until you see thin strands incorporating with the sauce and vegetables.
- Serve with warm arepas. Add black beans if you like.
SHARE THIS RECIPE